While there are still three months remaining in 2020 (I mean, who can’t wait for this year to be over?), let’s hope the turbulence, challenges and difficult conversations serve as the foundation of change for a better tomorrow. Your chapter leadership has been embracing change to better define our vision of 2021.
Be sure to review the nominees for our 2021 board of directors, under the leadership of 2021 Chapter President Stefanie Macfarlane, APR, who has been my right hand this year. The new board, which will transition January 1, will be presented for a member vote during the annual meeting, Nov. 19 at 1 p.m.
While we embrace diversity and inclusion throughout the year, October is designated as Diversity & Inclusion Month. As PRSA 2020 Chair T. Garland Stansell points out in his member communications, this year “takes on extra significance and sense of purpose … our theme, Transforming the Landscape, reflects the need for us to continue broadening and strengthening our commitment to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture throughout PRSA and the communications profession.”
Keep an eye on your email this month for a comprehensive chapter member survey. We are interested in your feedback to best serve you in the coming year. The survey addresses our programs, communications and diversity & inclusion efforts. Let your voice be heard.
Check out and register for our upcoming virtual programs (some will begin 15 minutes early for networking opportunities). Programs include:
- Oct. 8, 3-4 p.m., “Writing Your Next Chapter” Career Chat. Regardless of your situation, join us for a conversation about brushing up your personal brand. Christina Stokes, vice president and director of talent acquisition at Rubenstein in New York, will discuss the best ways to present yourself. Topics include: resume refresh; virtual networking tips; pitching yourself in a pandemic; and mental health tips during a pandemic job search.
- Oct. 15, 8:15 a.m. (networking); 8:30 a.m. (program) – “How to Amplify Your PR Campaign Through Influencer Marketing,” with foodie influencer Ricky Ly of @tastychomps, Jeanette Johnson of J’s Everyday Fashion and Wall Crawl Orlando, and moderator Yadia Suarez of IZEA. Thank you to program sponsor Orlando Health.
- Oct. 26-29, ICON 2020, “Strategic Communications – Navigating a World Disrupted.” PRSA’s digital gathering of thought leaders, industry experts and partners in communication, public relations and marketing will deliver four days of innovation, insights, ideas and inspiration.
- Nov. 19, 1 p.m. – Orlando Magic (details to come), includes annual meeting with 2021 board slate vote by membership.
- November and December – We also have other events in the works, including a Membership Appreciation Week and our annual PRSA Gives Back. See our website and social media channels for updates.
As always, if you have any questions, feedback or needs, please be sure to reach out. Stay healthy and stay safe!
Rich Donley, APR
2020 President, PRSA Orlando Regional Chapter