As a contributing member of the marketing team, the Social Media and PR Specialist supports maintaining the brand image of the Orlando Science Center, raising awareness and ultimately driving revenue generated by walk-in attendance, membership sales and fee-based programs. This position works closely with the marketing and graphics team as well as other departments on promotions, publicity and social media campaigns for all Orlando Science Center’s events, programs, exhibits and films.
The Social Media and PR Specialist is responsible for managing planning calendars for marketing and PR initiatives, assisting with media opportunities, copywriting for all major communications channels, supporting social media efforts, and staffing promotional outreach appearances and special events.
- Curates, creates, and updates copy for press releases, media alerts, blog posts and articles, website copy, and social media posts.
- Curates and creates shareable mission-oriented content appropriate for specific social networks aligned to overall strategy in an effort to increase brand awareness, and engage with current and prospective consumers.
- Supports the day-to-day messaging, monitoring, and moderation of Orlando Science Center’s social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and additional channels as needed.
- Defines relevant KPI’s and actively monitors and reports on the performance of social media platforms and marketing campaigns
- Implements best practices for social listening, uploading, tagging, reporting, and custom audience development on social media.
- Manages the production and planning calendars for media outreach, blogging, and social media, to promote department efficiency.
- Serves as a media contact and fosters relationships with active media in order to pursue editorial coverage for national, local, and industry-related news.
- Increases community awareness of Orlando Science Center as an educational facility and thought leader through social media, marketing, branding and public relations.
- Co-supervises and trains 1-2 college-level interns each semester who aid in content creation and responding to online reviews.
- Coordinates photography requests across departments and books and acts as point of contact for confirmed photographers and videographers.
- Manages the Public Relations department budget.
- Attends Orlando Science Center events and offsite promotional opportunities as a Science Center representative.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
2. Decision Making
3. Work Standards
6. Problem Solving 7. Adaptability
8. Planning and Organizing
12. Customer Service and Quality
- Education: BA/BS degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field.
- Experience: 1-3 years of relevant work or internship experience.
- Certifications: N/A
- Experience with email marketing platforms such as Mail Chimp, Constant Contact, or comparable tools.
- Proficiency with WordPress or similar website platforms.
- Experience managing an organization’s social media channels, specifically Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Experience with Hootsuite or comparable to manage campaign execution and reporting preferred.
- A passion for storytelling through multiple formats, both visual and written.
- Well-organized, self-directed and with excellent communication skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Photography skills a big plus.
- May be responsible for overseeing college-level interns as assigned.
- Ability to sit/stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift, push, or pull up to 45 lbs.
Expected Hours of Work:
- This position primarily works Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Availability on weekends for outreach or special events required as needed.
- Some travel required for this position, primarily to local studios and outreach events as needed. May participate in an overnight trip to Tallahassee for annual STEM Day at the Capitol event.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to HRSpecialist@osc.org.