To coordinate and lead public relations and communications initiatives for Heart of Florida United Way. The primary role of this position is to raise the local and national profile of HFUW. This position is responsible for the concept, creation and implementation of media relations such as proactive story pitching, coordinating interviews, writing press releases, drafting bylined articles, maintaining PR reports, coordinating opportunities among internal and external partners, and more. This position will serve as a writer and editor on the HFUW Marketing and Communications staff; cultivate, draft and edit content to be used in a variety of communication channels; execute on the marketing strategy in place and contribute to all aspects of project management and events for the Marketing and Communications team as needed, while supporting efforts of the entire Donor & Volunteer Engagement Department.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:
- Assist leadership in developing media relations strategy, seeking positive, highly visible placements in local print, broadcast, radio and online media.
- Coordinate all public relations activities ranging from interviews to press conferences, events, and social platforms.
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests in a timely fashion.
- Draft and distribute press releases, media alerts and statements to media list.
- Proactively pitch HFUW subject matter experts to comment on timely news topics.
- Maintain digital files for reference data, information, and articles.
- Work with Marketing/Communications team to connect tactics engaging audiences across all communication channels.
- Assist in all aspects of social media, event planning and execution and other marketing projects as needed.
- Assist in the development and production of multimedia content.
- Assist with developing and nurturing relationships with key influencers in the community and cross-departmental relationships within the organization.
- Remain knowledgeable regarding industry trends, best practices and techniques.
- Possess a proactive mentality to take initiative on projects and identify additional opportunities.
Content Development & Writing
- Create content for press releases, byline articles and statements.
- Write and edit content including but not limited to bylined/feature articles, blog posts, success stories, marketing and ad copy, e-blasts, newsletters, special correspondence/letters, web copy, video scripts, PSAs and other copy as needed.
- Cultivate success stories/client testimonials through internal and external interviews and research.
- Develop an annual editorial calendar in collaboration with others to determine the direction of content for all communication channels.
- Write speeches for President/CEO, Campaign Chair, Board Chair and various members of Board of Directors and senior staff and volunteers as assigned.
Strategy & Analytics
- Provide strategic insight and planning on online and traditional content.
- Monitor, analyze, and report PR results on regular basis by tracking media coverage or metrics.
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them.
- Participate in brainstorming and planning sessions.
- Conduct research to support PR planning and compiles data and analytics reports indicating trends and outcomes of activity.
- Maintain a detailed reporting system of media coverage and ROI.
- Continually evaluate opportunities to connect HFUW work to national, state and local issues.
Physical demands include sitting or standing for extended periods of time, bending, occasional lifting of items weighing up to approximately 25 pounds, regularly moving throughout the building between floors, traveling to outside meetings, regular use of standard office equipment such as the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration. Reliable transportation is required. Job involves frequent interactions with internal and external customers, and routinely intense public contact.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism or equivalent combination of experience and education required.
- Proven track record developing and executing successful public relations campaigns at a local level, national level or both.
- Minimum of three years of related work experience, with a majority of experience in writing and editing.
- Strong knowledge of media relations best practices and AP Style.
- Strong relationships with local media outlets desired.
- Comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Must have demonstrated writing for various channels and audiences (speech, marketing, ad, and feature writing experience).
- Media event planning experience.
- Computer savvy and working knowledge of databases; Design software experience (e.g. Photoshop) is a plus.
- Well-organized, able to work with multiple deadlines.
- Strong attention to details.
- Must have good people skills and customer service mentality to be able to interact with a variety of individuals/departments/organizations.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills in meeting deadlines required.
- Excellent verbal communication and interviewing skills required.
- Preference Spanish Speaking
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification; is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties. You may be required to perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor or management. You will be evaluated in part based on your performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Employees moving into this position work on a ninety (90) day introductory basis after assuming these responsibilities.
The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment and either you or the employer may terminate at any time for any reason.
- Passion Dive in- Create enthusiasm and inspire others.
- Authenticity Be Real- Keep it honest and set the example.
- Collaboration Live United- Work together and mobilize for change.
- Empowerment Own it- Be courageous and make it happen.