Experience Kissimmee is currently seeking a Media Relations Specialist. This role is responsible for supporting communications efforts, including media relations and outreach, event planning, tactic execution, and reporting. This position works to promote the mission of Experience Kissimmee and is responsible for executing initiatives, plans, and tactics between the organization and various media outlets and agencies. This role will support domestic and international communications and public relations including editorial and paid content.
Below are some of the major responsibilities of the position:
- Consult regularly with the Media Relations Director and applicable department staff on their communication needs in advance of and during the launch of dedicated campaigns and special promotions.
- Execute communications and public relations plans and tactics that create awareness of Kissimmee as a choice destination for leisure, business, and sports travelers.
- Assist the Media Relations Director with the coordination of work related to communications and public relations initiatives with domestic and international projects including sports and meetings.
- Coordinate with Media Relations Director to thoroughly vet or respond to media, blogger, and social influencer requests for information, photography, and/or visits to the destination.
- Coordinate with local industry partners in developing story ideas and itineraries for media, bloggers, and social influencers.
- In conjunction with the Destination and Event Services Team, conduct events involving media, bloggers, and/or social influencers. Host and escort visiting media, as directed by the Media Relations Director.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media, bloggers, and social influencers.
- Log and update media, blogger, and social influencer requests, publicity, and media relations efforts in the CRM and other media platforms.
- At Media Relations Director’s request, gather results (e.g. campaigns and media missions) from various sources (e.g. CRM, Cision, representations firms, etc.) to create media reports.
- Monitor coverage of Experience Kissimmee, the destination, and events with potential to impact Osceola County tourism and report to executive team.
- Write, edit, and ensure effective dissemination of press releases, media alerts, blog posts, and other content publicizing the destination.
- Edit and review copy and content materials submitted by staff and representation firms.
- Provide fact checking services for articles pertaining to the destination.
- Maintain regular contact and foster relationships with industry partners.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field and 2-3 years of related experience with a minimum of 1 year of media relations experience. Will substitute experience for education.
- Must have 1-2 years of public relations AP-style writing experience.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Database experience preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental staff, supervisors, industry partners, agencies, the media, and the general public.
- Requires strong customer relations, communication skills, both verbal and written, organizational skills, both analytical and problem solving, and the ability to work with confidential documents.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks, achieve deadlines under pressure, and work independently without direct supervision or as a member of a team that solicits input for all levels of the organization.
- Spanish language a plus.