Why We Exist: AFLV accelerates progress in fraternity and sorority communities through change-enabling experiences.
Position Overview: Our Director of Strategic Communications will serve as the primary staff member responsible for leading our overall communication strategy and online/digital experience. This person will lead projects that include: audience engagement, issue campaigns, experience story-telling, Connections digital magazine, and fostering the overall AFLV brand.
The ideal candidate must know how to move people and shape ideas through compelling communication and branding. AFLV is not okay with the status quo in today’s fraternity/sorority experience, and this person must be comfortable creatively igniting change through this work. They must be a self-starter able to flourish in a fast-paced, team-based environment. They must show the ability to be nimble in working with communities, partners, and team members, exercising strong conceptual and critical thinking skills. Individuals will be successful in this position based on their ability to own and prioritize projects, balance tasks, and employ a team-based approach to communication strategy.
A commitment to and enthusiasm for affecting systemic change and sustainable progress in the undergraduate fraternal experience is also required.
- Commit to the AFLV Operating System, using it as the framework to execute job responsibilities.
- Drive the creative process with team members, using content inputs to build, implement, and manage ongoing communication and marketing plans for AFLV experiences, campaigns, publications, and the organizational brand.
- Develop (write) organizational communication content that influences audience engagement in experiences and advances the mission and operating system of AFLV.
- Manage and maintain up-to-date contact lists to drive intentional, segmented marketing campaigns through the AFLV email management platform.
- Ensure a user-focused digital experience through the management of AFLV websites and other online platforms with a focus on mobile compatibility.
- Spearhead Connections digital magazine project to include developing mission-driven content themes, securing content providers, and managing the work of editorial volunteers.
- Work with team members on the development, implementation, and ongoing management of additional digital content pieces, to include educational resources, social campaigns, podcasts, video content, etc.
- Lead AFLV social media strategy, ensuring consistent, relevant content delivery.
- Conduct regular and ongoing assessment of communication strategies against organizational objectives.
- Contribute to overall organization strategy, execution, and operations through strategic discussions and in executing on new ideas.
- Cultivate and support revenue generation (ads, etc.) and fundraising contribution leads.
- Collaborate with external partners and content providers to enhance the AFLV experience.
- Supervise the Graphic & Web Designer, a shared employee with the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors (AFA).
- Support and supervise the work of related volunteers, volunteer committees, and/or workgroups.
- Build and maintain AFLV relationships at various industry events and initiatives.
- Provide prompt, responsive, and professional support to AFLV stakeholders.
- Perform all duties required to nurture and grow the AFLV brand.
- Engage in ongoing professional development opportunities to ensure AFLV is on the cutting edge of “all things” communication and brand management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience: The ideal candidate would possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (communications, marketing, public relations, etc.).
- Three or more years of professional experience in marketing or communications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Expertise with social media platforms, including management platforms (Hootsuite).
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop).
- Familiarity in web content management systems and email marketing platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Demonstrated professional experience/success in project management
Interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective relationships.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Membership in a fraternity or sorority preferred.
- Must be able to work prolonged days, specifically during onsite conference work; early mornings through late evenings.
- Must be comfortable with regular domestic travel.
- Light to heavy lifting is periodically required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Reporting Relationship: This position will report directly to the AFLV Executive Director.
Location: This position allows for remote work within US time zones. An (approx. five-business day) in-person onboarding is required, with expenses covered by AFLV. Please indicate your preferred working location in your application.
Compensation: This is a full-time position, with a salary range of $50,000-$57,500. A competitive benefits package is also included. The final offer will be commensurate with experience.
Application & Timeline: Please submit a letter of interest, resume and three references relevant to the work of this position. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
It is important for us to have our Director of Strategic Communications in place by mid-July. If possible, we would like the selected candidate to be available to attend the AFLV Strategy Retreat July 1-2, 2019 in Nashville, TN (all expenses covered by AFLV)…even if official start date is later in the month. Availability for this retreat will not be a factor in the hiring decision, however.
Please send applications and/or any additional questions to:
Ryan O’Rourke, Executive Director
Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values