Position Title: Communications Director
Organization Name: Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Inc.
Brief Description of Organization: The Legal Aid Society provides quality legal services for the low-income residents, children, and disadvantaged groups with special legal needs in Orange County, Florida, and assists in providing legal aid services to similarly situated residents of neighboring counties through an effective and fiscally sound program using the combined efforts of staff and pro bono attorneys.
Position Description: The Communications Director is an essential, valued member of the Legal Aid Society who will report to and collaborate with the Executive Director to bring LASOCBA’s work and mission to life. The position will manage existing marketing responsibilities, specifically written communications, digital media, and public relations. The Communications Director is highly encouraged to help develop new, innovative approaches to tell LASOCBA’s story. This position works closely with many LASOCBA staff members, including senior staff and the development director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a primary responsibility, develop creative ways to publicize LASOCBA’s great work, including identifying, drafting, pitching, and disseminating staff and volunteer success stories; share positive results and community impact stories with media, law firms and non-profits
- Regularly update, manage, and create written content (stories, statements, news, web pages) for targeted publications, television, print, the LASOCBA website, and LASOCBA social media accounts
- Under guidance from the director, implement designated parts of the yearly strategic communications & marketing plan, and editorial calendar
- Participate in and execute editorial planning for awareness, policy, and fundraising campaigns
- Ensure effective, consistent LASOCBA branding on all communications materials, including by outside organizations and companies
- Strategize with executive director to implement internal and external communications about LASOCBA public relations and marketing policies
- In absence of executive director, cover sensitive communication matters
- Manage back-end website maintenance and updates, including liaising with website consultant when needed
- Work with the development director to utilize best practices and new approaches to support fundraising in a digital space
- Manage all e-mail marketing efforts (drafting, seeking approvals, and sending all external marketing emails)
- Serve as organization’s graphic designer, designing and editing digital and print materials, including social media content, flyer templates, and special projects
- Serve as organization’s photograph manager, managing volunteer or paid photographers and videographers, when needed
- Catalogue and maintain a bank of image files for use in marketing and communications efforts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 1-2 years of demonstrated experience in creative writing, journalism, communications, public relations, or marketing in a professional setting preferred
- Proficient in graphic design and relevant software: Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and more.
- Proficient in social media and website management (i.e. Mailchimp or similar, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices on digital media platforms
- Have a passion for LASOCBA’s mission and is committed to working in the public interest, promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Strong organizational skills, collaborative and kind attitude, and attention to detail in a rapid response environment
Benefits: Excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer. Compensation begins at $45,000 and is based upon experience. The position listing will close February 1, 2023.
Time Requirement: LAS office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm. This is a full-time, salaried position, requiring flexible availability. Work may be conducted remotely and outside of office hours, with LAS approval.
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Application Procedure: Submit resume, cover letter, three professional references, and a mix of relevant writing and design samples (i.e. press releases, social media posts, e-mail, marketing emails, graphic flyers, etc.) via email to Nicolette Sewell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Join a trusted and respected law firm that saves lives every day!