The Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association is the state's leading full-service specialty crop organization, serving Florida's grower-shipper community since 1943. FFVA represents a broad range of crops, including vegetables, citrus, tropical fruit, berries, sod, sugar cane, tree crops and more. Our mission is to enhance the business and competitive environment for producing and marketing fruits, vegetables and other crops.
We are seeking an experienced communications professional with a background developing and implementing strategic communications programs, public relations campaigns and grassroots advocacy efforts. Experience in media relations and crisis communication is required. Strong skills in writing and editing on deadline are a must. Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience and a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or a related field are required. Experience in agriculture, association work and/or public affairs communication is a plus.
- Develop and implement strategic communications programs, public relations campaigns and grassroots advocacy efforts to impact public policy related to the agricultural industry. Ensure that communications incorporate and advance the positions of the Board of Directors in representation of Association membership.
- Develop and manage the Association’s crisis communications strategy. Direct crisis communication activities for the Association and regularly create, evaluate, and update crisis communication response plan. Provide guidance to members related to communicating in times of crises.
- Serve as the Association’s spokesperson and subject matter expert to media and others on agricultural industry matters relating to Florida producers, food safety, weather, labor, legislation, and markets. Cultivate and maintain relationship with media representatives to enhance position as a reliable, credible source of industry information.
- Direct media coverage, write and distribute news releases, and proactively pitch story ideas. Contribute to industry trade publications, and write to letters to editors and op-ed columns to communicate the position of the Association.
- Counsel internal staff and grower members on responding to media inquiries and participating in interviews.
- Serve as executive editor for the development, production and maintenance of the company's internal and external print and digital communication vehicles, including the website, publications, newsletters, marketing materials and annual reports. Interview, select, recommend, hire, train and supervise assigned staff. Assign and check work. Provide technical direction to staff and assist them in the investigation and resolution of problems. Evaluate performance and provide counseling and coaching to employees. Initiate personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, terminations, or disciplinary measures. Maintain harmonious employee/employer relations. Determine current and future staffing levels. Develop and implement departmental staffing plans and related budgets.
- Develop and monitor the Department budget. Investigate and report on variances.
- Provide support to the Association and the Division by participating in event planning, committees, advocacy boards, and other related projects.
- Work with the CEO to achieve organizational goals and objectives by administering the communications and public relations initiatives as determined by the larger organizational strategic planning process.
- Attend and participate in a variety of industry meetings, advisory committees and task forces as directed.
- Maintain required level of knowledge pertaining to operating procedures, requirements, processes, and policies.
- Lead and/or participate in internal projects or task force groups which focus on issues that have an organization-wide impact.
- Maintain a clean and orderly working environment, and encourage departmental staff and subordinates to do likewise.
- Perform or assist with any assignments as required or directed.
Employees of FFVA enjoy a family-friendly and creative work environment. We offer a competitive compensation package, excellent 401k employer contributions and a full benefits package.