OVERALL PURPOSE OF THIS ROLE:
Responsible for developing, researching, writing and disseminating communications for a variety of communication and public relations efforts including media releases, blogging, newsletters, feature stories, social media posts, video scripts, and website content for Heart of Florida United Way and its programs. This position plays a key role in strategic communications that help advance Heart of Florida United Way’s mission and convey core values to a variety of audiences that engage with HFUW directly and indirectly.
- Act as the primary copywriter for the organization providing copy for all communications ranging from marketing collateral, email newsletters, social media content, scripts, press releases, blogs, etc.
- Display technical writing expertise based on the audience, media, tone, etc. of each piece. Transition between varying media yet maintain brand voice (e.g., a formal donor thank you letter to a playful social media post to a feature story profile on a board member).
- Conduct research relating to assignments to ensure accuracy, data integrity and relevancy.
- Communicate conceptual ideas in written or oral presentation to leadership and internal stakeholders.
- Perform interviews of HFUW clients, donors and volunteers and draft profile stories.
- Proofread and edit copy drafted by others throughout the organization.
- Develop working knowledge of organizational departments/programs to maintain accuracy and consistency in communication efforts.
- Follow national/local news stories and social media trends to make relevant connections to HFUW’s work.
- Brainstorm and conceptualize original ideas for development of various types of campaigns, storylines, etc.
- Contribute tactical ideas to communication planning for organizational needs.
- Contribute strategic ideas to department editorial planning calendars.
- Maintain and uphold organizational brand standards in all areas of work.
- Collaborates closely on integrated communications projects like video, social media campaigns, etc. with other creators.
- Participate as a collaborative member of the Marketing & Communications team, attending weekly department meetings, updating project management dashboard, etc.
- Assist in the execution of organizational events and initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES & BEHAVIORS:
- Mission Focused: Create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Relationship-Oriented: Cultivate and manage relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understand the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand-Steward: Steward of the brand and understands the role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of HFUW and the greater network.
Physical demands include sitting or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting of items weighing up to approximately 40 pounds, regularly moving throughout the building between floors, traveling to outside meetings, regular use of standard office equipment such as the telephone, copier and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration. Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license is required, ability to operate passenger van and similar vehicles. Job involves frequent interactions with internal and external customers, and routinely intense public contact.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or related field or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum of three to five years of related work experience.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and be able to interact with a variety of individuals/organizations while maintaining confidentiality and professionalism.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Knowledge of AP style and ability to reflect proper use in written communications.
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of journalistic style and quality in all written communications.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills including the ability to self-direct workload and meet deadline.
- Experience working with media and/or writing for public relations.
- Experience writing for social media content.
- Experience in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) writing preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community and meet the needs of a diverse population.
- Must be able to prioritize heavy workload in fast-paced environment.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Windows and Microsoft Office Suite, ability to use common office equipment such as copier and fax required.
- Experience with project management software preferred.