The purpose of this position is to assist in scheduling, coordinating, and planning city events and other programs under the management of the Support Services Department. The employee in this position will perform planning work relating to the operation of citywide events and programs. Work in this position may include office assistance, event set up and event supervision. The work may at times be moderately difficult and physical, and requires independent judgment in the coordination and operation of the events. Work is performed under the direction of the Community Relations Manager.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
- Assist with planning and executing city events.
- Serves as a city representative at events; involved in pre-event planning; identify and resolve event challenges.
- Communicate with vendors to schedule items and services needed for events and special projects.
- Provides backup coverage at the City Hall receptionist desk.
- Assist with the set-up and breakdown of events.
- Organize and electronically file photographic images.
- Orders, organizes and maintains promotional items inventory.
- During event, monitor and effectively handle event related activities.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
High School diploma or GED equivalent; with previous experience in hospitality, special events, community outreach or related activities preferred; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience. Possession and maintenance of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES –
- Knowledge of effective customer service practices.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation
- Ability to read and understand diagrams or layouts, and apply to event set-up.
- Ability to work with people of all ages through friendly, outgoing, tactful, and strong communications skills with an emphasis on listening.
- Ability to respond to difficult and stressful situations in an efficient, effective, diplomatic and positive manner.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks with diplomacy, discretion, and courtesy, and to exercise discretion and good judgment in the resolution of problems.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions, and work independently in carrying out assignments to completion.
- Ability to clearly communicate information both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, supervisors and the general public.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, e.g., computers, printers, copy machines, telephone systems, facsimile machines, scanners.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, and enforce policies, procedures, and regulations of the area of assignment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.