AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Florida Department of Citrus is a marketing and research agency utilizing progressive insights to maximize demand for Florida citrus through a fully integrated marketing and public relations program. Based in Central Florida (Bartow), FDOC is responsible for domestic and international marketing, research and regulation of the $6.8 billion Florida citrus industry.
DESCRIPTION: The Florida Department of Citrus seeks a versatile and strong communicator to create content and provide support for a wide variety of programs and activities to promote and publicize Florida Citrus products in support of the Florida citrus industry. The position works directly with the Assistant Director of Global Marketing in the areas of media relations, industry relations, public relations, marketing, content development and website management. The Communications Coordinator is responsible for writing, editing and proofreading Department-wide publications for both internal and external use. Publications include but are not limited to press releases, newsletters, meeting recaps, web content, advertorials and blogs. The position may be called upon to represent the FDOC at industry meetings and events and is responsible for building and maintaining relationships within the citrus community. This position offers ample opportunity to gain additional experience in all aspects of public relations in an integrated team with an all-hands-on-deck mentality. This is the perfect fit for someone who thrives on deadline, can juggle multiple projects simultaneously, is naturally curious and eager to learn.
Generous State Benefits:
- Health/Dental/Life Insurance
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
Salary range: $35,000 - $50,000
- Write, edit, and proofread Department-wide publications for both internal and external use. Publications include but are not limited to press releases, newsletters, meeting recaps, presentations, columns, web content, social content, advertising materials, blogs, annual reports, etc.
- Provide support for media relations, including assisting with media requests, interview prep, research, data collection, images, message development and events.
- Assist with issues management and crisis communications, as directed.
- Update media contact lists, track media inquiries, and monitor FDOC-related news coverage.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategies to increase industry awareness of FDOC activities.
- May provide presentations at industry events and meetings.
- Manage and coordinate Department sponsorships of industry association events and activities.
- Manage Constant Contact subscriptions and distribution of industry communications and updates.
- Update and post new content to FDOC web channels using the Content Management System (WordPress).
- Work within budgetary limits, track spending, and analyze key metrics.
- Identify, propose and implement forward-thinking and effective communications plans to support FDOC key strategic initiatives and public relations and marketing programs.
- Develop positive, effective working relationships with FDOC internal team, contract agencies, industry partners and constituents.
- Perform all other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in the areas of writing, media relations, public relations, marketing, or related area.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated through published writing examples, strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Expert knowledge of AP Style.
- Basic knowledge of web design, html and WordPress.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to process and incorporate feedback.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- This position is based at the FDOC office in Bartow, FL. This is not a Remote/Work from Home position.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Physically able to lift a 4/5 bushel carton of Fresh Florida Citrus (50 lbs.).
- Experience working with the media either as a journalist or public relations professional.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) or similar design software.
- Photography and/or videography skills.
VETERAN RECRUITMENT STATEMENT: The Florida Department of Citrus values the service veterans and their family members have given to our country and supports the hiring of returning service members and military spouses. Veterans and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES RECRUITMENT STATEMENT: The Florida Department of Citrus values and supports the employment of Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website at http://www.sss.gov.
- If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS) please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: Lakeland