The Communications Coordinator assists UCF Communications with promoting and protecting UCF’s reputation and brand. The position develops, manages, and executes communication strategies related to academic programs, campus initiatives, student success, and community involvement. The position prepares and implements communication plans for key UCF issues, responds to informational and public records requests, and collaborates with local, regional and national media to share the UCF story.
- Develops, executes and manages communication strategies for specific university areas to enhance UCF’s public image and to protect the university’s reputation.
- Researches and writes news and feature releases and develops key message points as needed.
- Proactively identifies topics of news value and prepares pitches for placement with local, regional, and national media.
- Responds to media information calls and requests to speak with UCF experts. Identifies and secures appropriate representatives to serve as spokespersons for selected topics.
- Prepares templates, message points, informational sheets and other content as needed to assist UCF’s ability to respond to selected current and emerging issues
- Counsels faculty, staff and students about opportunities and concerns related to media coverage.
- Assists with Communications and Marketing’s collaboration with University Relations to help promote priorities related to state, local and federal governments.
- Assists with preparing emergency response plans and providing communications support during crises as needed.
- Assists in tracking news coverage and analyzing impact and reach of coverage and in planning and managing news conferences, media availabilities, interviews and special events.
- Pursues partnerships with internal and external units to best support university goals, enhance the university’s reputation and provide the most effective responses to crises and issues.
- Performs related duties as required or deemed appropriate to meet department, division and university goals.
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and two years of appropriate experience.
Strong writing skills
Public and media relations experience